How To Get An EIN (Tax ID) Number In Montana
Montan’s rate of new entrepreneurs is in the top 10 of the United States, and if you’re one of the state’s new business owners, you stand to benefit from a business-friendly environment, an educated workforce, and the nation’s shortest average commute times. However, before you can start enjoying these benefits, you need to obtain a Montana EIN number and a state tax ID number.
To help you out, this guide outlines how to get an Employer Identification Number and a Montana tax ID number. Here’s what you need to know.
How To Apply For A Tax ID Number In Montana
Here’s what you need to do to apply for a Montana EIN number for your business:
- Determine if you need an EIN — Most businesses need this number. The only exception is a sole proprietorship with no employees, no contractors that need tax withheld, and no sales that incur excise tax or other federal taxes.
- Prepare the information for the EIN application — There are detailed instructions about the information you need in the following sections.
- Decide if you want to apply for your EIN online or through the mail — Online gets you the number much faster, but you can only apply for one EIN online per day.
After you work through these steps, you will get your EIN, and once you have it, you can start using it right away.
Prepare The Required Information
Wondering what info you need to apply for an EIN? Here is a list of the information you need to put on the form:
● Business legal and doing-business-as name — To be on the safe side, you may want to register your trade name or set up your LLC before you apply for an EIN.
● Business address and contact information — Use your current information even if it’s subject to change.
● Type of business entity — You can also use this application to get EINs for nonprofits, churches, trusts, estates, and other types of entities.
● Name of a responsible party — Usually, you should select the owner of the company.
● The number of employees — Include all people you plan to employ over the next 12 months.
● The reason you want an EIN — The most common reasons are hiring employees, taking over an existing business, and banking purposes.
Once you have these details, you can start to fill out the application. Again, you can apply online or through the mail.
To get a fast EIN number Montana residents should apply online. The process takes less than an hour — some people can complete it in 15 minutes. Then, you get the number right away.
Submit Your Application Via Mail
To apply by mail, fill out a PDF of the SS-4 form. Then, print it and mail it to the IRS. You should receive your EIN in the mail in about a month and a half to two months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Montana’s tax environment ranks 5th in the United States, but even in a business-friendly environment, you still need to take care of a lot of tax and regulatory issues. Here are answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about this process. Before getting an EIN number Montana residents should understand the following:
A tax ID number identifies your business to the government. In Montana, you need an EIN for federal tax issues such as payroll and excise tax. You also need it to complete partnership or corporate tax returns on the federal level. If you have employees, you will also need a state tax ID for state income tax withholding.
No, the Montana Secretary of State does not issue EIN numbers. To get an EIN number Montana residents need to apply with the federal government. To get a Montana tax ID number to use on state tax forms, they should contact the Department of Revenue. The Secretary of State handles LLC formation, incorporation, trade name registration, and similar business needs.
An EIN is a type of Montana tax ID number. It is a number that you use for federal tax purposes and for banking. There are also state tax ID numbers, and you use those on state tax forms.